Monday, June 16, 2008

Reading is my oxygen

My colleague Dan White's memoir, The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost my Mind--and Almost Found Myself--on the Pacific Crest Trail, was chosen by Salon as a top summer read. Salon talks about Dan's book even before David Sedaris' new one!

I have the book on my bed stand and will begin it soon. I'm looking forward to it because I'm sure it's hilarious and poignant, as the reviews say--and also because I will be teaching the book in one of my classes in the fall, and Dan will be visiting the class.

Also on my bed stand is a novel I'm writing a review on (I have an August 1 deadline) and and a huge stack of books I'm wading through as research for my historical novel.

I love books. I love reading. Life seems off somehow if I'm not in the middle of a meaningful story.

2 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Just got the Sedaris book, but I'm about to dive into Jeanette Winterson's new one, The Stone Gods.

Kate Evans said...

I can't wait to read The Stone Gods. Let me know how it is.