Monday, October 22, 2007

San Diego Fires

My sister Ann lives in Leucadia, North County San Diego. It's hot, windy and overwhelmingly smoky there. My sister, wearing a bandana over her face, took her dog to the beach and walked to the post office and still suffered eye and sinus trauma.

Her kids' school has been cancelled for a few days now. She spent the day taking pictures of her house in case they are evacuated. She's close to the beach and so is hoping they'll be safe, but other parts of her city were evacuated today. Everyone's on alert.

Ann says there's a huge layer of ash, like a snowstorm blew in. Her sons went surfing and could see all the ash in the water. They're also busy trying to find a generator in case they have to evacuate so they can set up their X-box at the beach!

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

I've been glued to CNN watching the coverage. Got an email from Cecilia yesterday and she said its been windy and warm and smoggy as hell in LA (no surprise) and you can see the smoke clouds all around. It's really frightening to watch.

When I was in LA in the spring, they had a huge windstorm while I was there. I can't imagine that coupled with fire.