Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Adventures

It's already August...and I finally have a couple of pictures of June's SF Dyke March to share.

The crowd was impressive:



And we didn't just watch the march, we participated. Here's a photo of me with my friends Brenda and Laurie:

* * *
Guess what my mom, my sisters and I are doing starting on Sunday? Just the 4 of us--no spouses, no kids.

7 days on Honolulu, Hilo, Maui, Kona & Kauai.

Hawaii has always meant a lot to my mom. She worked as a nurse there in the mid 1950's, before it was a state. As a girl, she'd dreampt about working on Molokai with the lepers, ala Father Damien. She never did that, but she did have a chance to visit there several times.

And now as I go through boxes of things from my parents' house, I'm finding a lot she wrote about Hawaii. Over the years, she and my father went there often. She especially loved Kona.

I'm hoping she'll be able to share memories with us on the trip. At the very least, she will be able to smell, feel and taste the places she's always loved.
I'm looking forward to this adventure, another in a lifetime of many.

No comments: